Thursday, September 16, 2010

Back to the Bottom of the Totem Pole

(First I want to apologize, as I did not finish my "One Week" blog. I wrote about an half entry then got really busy and have decided to paraphrase...it was a crazy week!)
As anyone who cares to read this blog knows, I have just begun school...again! I am beginning my next academic chapter in pursuing my Ph.D. in Pharmaceutics. And for all the new opportunities it sure feels familiar. With every new step in our academic careers, we seem to follow a very similar outline for every chapter.
You begin each step by reviewing what you learned before (minus the Kindergarten stage because you know nothing then). In Jr. High, you take the first placement tests to see what classes you start in. High school is similar but it adds all the "tracks" to graduating; such as Core 40, Honors, AP, etc. College again is all about placement tests and tracks, but adds that entire new dimension of living on your own and trying to remember how your mom folded your clothes, kinda. Next everyone must accomplish a laundry list of menial tasks to provide a foundation to stand on. This includes book fees, medical records, driving records, signing your name so many times that you only remember to put the M and J on everything. And lastly, there is the whole concept of being at the bottom of the totem pole and having to work your way back up to the top.

Now, a part of me assumed that continuing onto Grad School, especially at the same University, I might be able to bypass these "steps." Incorrect! I have found myself feeling much like a freshman in college or high school again, even though I am a college graduate and I turning 23 next week. I have had to sign so many documents that my signature looks like Michael Jordan's without the 23. Next, I am in 5 classes, only one of which directly relates to Pharmaceutics, and that is Seminar. For those who don't know, seminar is one hour a week to go and listen to professors and industry professionals talk about whatever they want. My other classes include two math classes, a chemistry course, and a laboratory safety course which is taught by the real life Ms. Frizzle! I have gone from discussing solubility issues during production of drugs and working on the problems of tomorrow, to solving differential equations and drawing plots about the sales of automobiles for the 3rd or 4th or 5th time, I can't remember. Thus, my motivation has been slowed. Instead I am enjoying the little things in life to get me through the mundane times of being a newbie such as; Monday Night Football, 4th Meal, and Frisbee Golf.

So, I have found myself at the bottom of an even higher mountain at which I have to climb. I just hope I don't gain the freshman 15...again!

No comments:

Post a Comment