Sunday, January 23, 2011

Back from Break

It has been awhile.  Last time I wrote that it was before finals and that I would get back to posting after the Holiday break.  Well, it is now two weeks into the new semester and this is my first update.  Let me explain.

Over the break I anticipated outlining my graduate studies and getting started on a research project.  As it turns out, this process takes longer than one semester.  I have begun "laboratory" hours but this consists of reading research articles and papers within the my field of study in order to narrow my project focus.  Basically I will be doing background work for this semester before I actually start to outline my thesis work this summer.  How this relates to my blog...I fully intend to write about the every activities of a graduate research assistant.  Having worked with a grad student toward the end of his grad work, I know that I will have plenty to write about eventually; such as internship opportunities, guest lecturers, research symposiums, and interactions with the leaders in the field.  I want to share my experience with everyone and maybe even inspire a few people.  Unfortunately I am not quite there yet but for now, I will continue to write about any and all things relating to my experiences as new grad student at Purdue.   So....

Most recently College Gameday was here on campus.  It was an awesome experience and it was great to see the student body come together with alumni to cheer our Boilermakers.  Although the actual game revolves around the team, there was something very fulfilling about screaming my lungs out with 14,000+ other Boilermakers for 6 hours (4 for College Gameday and 2 for the game).  As a Purdue sports fan we our conditioned to support our teams through thick and thin.  We've been there when Drew Brees led us to the Rose Bowl and when Kyle Orton had "the fumble" when the football version of College Gameday was here on campus.  We supported out basketball team when the Big Dog, Glenn Robinson led Purdue to the first of three straight Big Ten titles and when Gene Keady had a farewell season to forget.  Overall, I personally believe the Purdue fan base and alumni are some of the most loyal and enthusiastic fans in the country and it is an honor to be apart of something as special as College Gameday.

In other news, the College of Pharmacy is starting a new mentoring program for undergraduate students.  Basically, they are matching up graduates students in the three departments (Pharmacy Practice, Industrial and  Physical Pharmacy, and Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology).  Now I am very excited to be a apart of this new program because I was essentially a mentoree for a grad student a few years ago, and it was because of that experience that I am in grad school today.  The interesting thing is that the undergraduates can either ask to matched with a grad student based on discipline or they can select the grad student based on a short presentation we give.  And when I say short, I mean short.  See the following powerpoint slide....



Yep, that's all they want from me.  I assume that at the end of the meeting this week, the line up us grad students like we are being picked for dodgeball teams in Jr. High.  It should be interesting.  (And yes, I am using a picture of my adorable nephew as a selling point, DON"T JUDGE ME!)

Be on the look out for the Friday Fragments (short bits on news in science).  I hope to keep updating the blog daily (or every other day).  Also feel free to email me at pharmjack29@gmail.com if you have questions about grad school, pharmaceutical sciences, Purdue, or anything seen in my blog.  Thanks for all the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment