Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Rest of My Life

I strive to keep a science tone to this blog because that's what my main interests are in.  However, I also believe in trying to be as well-rounded of a person as possible.  So, I have a few short "perspectives" on other aspects of my life for your reading enjoyment, if you so choose.

First up, softball.  For the second summer in a row, I am playing in the Res Life summer league for McCutcheon Hall and we start the tournament tonight.  Now personally, I am hitting better than last year (roughly .950 compared to .500 last year) and I have been playing shortstop instead of pitching which is awesome for me.  As a team, we are just starting to come together and play well as a team, but the tourney starts NOW.  Anyway, I have been asked to come check out the Men's softball league of Lafayette because a couple guys think I would be a good addition to a team there.  Basically, I am being recruited to play softball.  All I have to say is, "Show me the money!"  Just kidding, but seriously.

UPDATE:  Last summer I wrote about my intramural softball team and our chances of coming back next year to win it all.  Well, I had other commitments that made me unavailable to play with them. And they did win it all, called it!  Congrats guys!

My new car...2011 Toyota Corolla LE
Now, onto a much bigger life event...purchasing my first car.  Over the 4th of July, I purchased my first car.  Brand NEW Car!  It had 9 miles on it when I drove it off the lot.  It's a 2011 Silver Toyota Corolla LE.  Well, I'm leasing a new car but it's all the same, kinda.  Originally the thought of buying a new car never even crossed my mind.  And I know a lot of you people that I am blessed enough to call friends told me never buy a new car.  However, I believe I may be in a situation worth hearing out.  So after spending weeks searching for a used car and after a few hours looking and test driving used cars throughout the area on the 4th, I made my way to the Toyota dealership in Avon honestly ready to call it a day.  After browsing a few new Toyotas, the salesman came up and asked if he could help me.  I explained that I was looking for a used car in a certain price range for a certain amount per month.

Now, the salesman who I will refer to as Jay, could have sold me a used Toyota without even suggesting a new car and probably gotten rid of some P.O.S. they haven;t been able to get off the lot in months.  But he then explained to me the idea of leasing a brand new car.  After three years of making payments I will have the option to buy out the car, re-finance, or give the car back.  I will be paying the same (actually less) per month as a used car and I have all the perks of a brand new, safe car.  The reason this makes sense to me is because Toyota Corollas (and Camrys) hold their value very well.  To make a long story short, Jay took the time to understand my situation and suggested a car that made since for me.  Not to mention, I have had my fair share of car troubles and it will be so comforting not to have to worry about my car breaking down.  So thank you Jay, and if you are considering purchasing a new car and want to ask me more questions about my car and lease, feel free to give me a buzz/drop me an email.

New house!
Lastly, I am moving for 6th time in 6 years.  Even though I lived in the dorms for multiple years, I always had to move my stuff home in between years.  So now I am moving into a two story house west of Purdue with a couple friends and I can honestly say I hate packing.  I don't think it would be as frustrating if I was moving towns but moving in the same time over and over again gets really redundant.  But when it's all said and done I am pretty excited about the new place.  Fenced in backyard, three care garage, and lots of space.  I'll put up some pictures soon once I get all moved in!


So there you go folks.  There is a little extra incite into the life and times of me!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome, Matt! I just got my own new (to me) car-- a Pontiac Vibe. Amusingly, it's actually engineered by Toyota, and (appears to) keep its value like most Toyota cars!

    Good luck on the move-- I'm getting ready for the trek up to AA here in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Jack! Seems like we have a multi-tasker here. Looks like you're on top of everything that concerns your life. You have a great career, a new house and a new car. It's a good thing that you came across with Jay when you were shopping for a car. It is a great deal. Imagine paying for a new car for the price of a used one. Great!

    Ellsworth Mciltrot

    ReplyDelete