Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Ramblings

The last month has again, been a whirlwind for me. I have not had an opportunity to focus on the specific scientific community but I am always keeping an ear to the ground. So, here are some of my latest "brain blasts" and possibly some future topics for full posts.

Private space flight had a big boost this month. SpaceX successfully launched their Falcon 9/Dragon Rocket. It achieved orbit which means we are less than 5 years from privatized space flight. Hey, if they need a pharmaceutical scientist on Mars...sign me up!

The iPhone 4G also was released this month. And I really wanted one...until I realized that Apple must only test their stuff with monkeys and mannequins. Between the iPhone's wi-fi not working for Steve Jobs at the release show and the "Death Grip" issues, I just cannot believe how they are still selling so many of these dang things. I mean seriously folks, it's like you've been brainwashed to think that shiny vampires and werewolves are cool! My conclusion, I believe Apple might become the Dell of phones. (You know because it was just released that Dell, who monopolized the business computer market for a solid 15 years after IBM, knowingly sold computers with a 97% failure rate on their motherboards, WTF?!) Well Droid, whatcha got?

I was given one more reason to despise soccer, thanks Team USA. Don't get me wrong, I cheered and celebrated as much as the next guy when we scored against Algeria but making a video of our reactions making it seem as though we just won the "Universe Cup" when all we really did was qualify for the next round...it's a little absurd. Oh and Megan Fox got married, bummer!

Lastly, check out this video of lightning hitting three buildings at the same time in Chicago...

Lightning strikes three of the tallest buildings in Chicago at the same time! from Craig Shimala on Vimeo.

Gorgeous power! The storms that have been rolling through the Midwest lately have been more dangerous than usually. I wasn't sure hail existed still because every time the weatherman claims there is golf hall size hail, all I ever see is down-pouring rain. But, I have seen hail twice in two weeks now and I am again a believer.

Coming soon (if you have an idea for a "scientific" post you want to see, please leave it in the comment section): BPPL, male birth control, why health statistics/studies can be good or bad, and possibly a Purdue sports outlook, because I can!

Oh, and here is my shout-out of the week. It was my girlfriend, Heather's 21st b-day last week! So Happy Birthday, love! :-)






1 comment:

  1. I you found the privatized space flight interesting, this might tickle your fancy, too: A car that converts to sports aircraft. Cool thing about a sports license is that you only need 20 hours of supervised flight to have one!

    Bad thing, it starts at 200k, I think.

    ReplyDelete