Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Perspective Disclaimer

Everybody in the world has their opinion about things. And an opinion is basically someone’s perspective on a certain topic.  Thus, regardless of how many facts or evidence you can put in front of someone they are always entitled their opinion (or perspective).  I believe that we should relish our perspectives and understand that unlike math and most of science, there are not right and wrong answers for everything. 

Now the name of my blog is “Perspectives of a Young Scientist.”  I want to continue to give a glimpse of what it’s like to be in my shoes and hopefully enlighten a few people to a different side of pharmacy and science in general.  But I also think that I can use this blog to start intelligent conversations about some of the major concepts of today’s world.  I am NOT trying to force my perspective upon you, nor will I judge you based on whether or not you agree with what I am saying all the time.  I do ask that you always respect a person’s opinion and try to understand my take on things with an open mind. 

Now I have perspectives on many subjects that could really shape how you perceive both me and your own thoughts.  God and science is a great one that I intend to write about soon.  Controversial research such as stem cell research is another area.  Politics, which is steadfastly becoming a negative term, has a huge effect on our daily lives and my half liberal-half conservative viewpoints will probably spark lively debates. 
All in all, this is my disclaimer for future posts.  I have avoided some subjects for fear of so called “controversy” and potential backlash over my viewpoints.  But that is all that it will be, one person’s perspective on matters relating to our lives. 

--
Now, as a little foreshadowing, I will give a preview of what I am talking about. 

For those of you who don’t know me, my mother was a sex education teacher.  She taught at my school, at my church, and even taught me and friends one year.  And for some reason, that made me a strong advocate for sex education.  Yes, I will preach abstinence with the best of them, but I also feel that complete sex education is needed in schools today for the sake of our health and overall well-being.  More teens are getting pregnant and unfortunately shows like “Secret Life” and “16 and Pregnant”” glorify those situations.  But most teens and college kids do not know all the risks associated with having unprotected sex (or even protected sex). 

Side Note: Did you know that the HIV virus is small enough to potentially get through the latex matrix of a condom?  Condoms were designed to prevent sperm from passing through the latex. And my reference is my mother who has years of both nursing and officially licensed sex education experience.

My point is that we must consider society as a whole when trying to educate people about sex.  We all come from different backgrounds and beliefs but that does not mean we won’t encounter a situation that tests those ideals.  Being educated about sex is best way to make intelligent decisions that are helpful, not harmful for our futures.    

So there is a small sample of the perspectives I am talking about.  I would always love to talk with people openly about these subjects in a constructive manner so if you really want to send me your “perspective” send it to…Pharmjack29@gmail.com.  And I just realized that if you want to send me your own small “Perspective” on anything I could possibly post it up here in a special guest posting section. 


No comments:

Post a Comment