Thursday, June 2, 2011

That's One Expensive Piece of Paper

The graduation season is upon us!  Students across the country have finished school and completed their bouts against “senioritis” in order to walk across a stage or gymnasium for a single piece of paper.  It’s quite ironic that as students we spend countless hours using thousands of pieces of paper to get a single one that is written in calligraphy and has our own name on it.  Before I get too much further I must congratulate a few people who have just graduated and are beginning a new chapter in their lives.

Congrats to the ladies of Pierce Street (Heather and Kristin), friends from res life, and all other 2011 Boilermakers who have just graduated from one of the greatest institutions in the world!  I wish you all nothing but the best and look forward to a brighter future knowing you all will be leading it. College truly is one of the best times in life and I feel privileged to have shared that experience with all of you. I must remind you that even though the door to this part of your life is closing, an even bigger and better door is opening for you all! I must also give a quick shout out to any other college graduates as you have just completed one the biggest steps in your life. (Pharm D pals, your shout out will come next year but best of luck in rotations and I can’t wait to celebrate with you all next May!)

Next, a congrats goes out to my brother, Jacob, and the high school class of 2011.  I attended Jacob’s graduation at my alma mater, Brownsburg High School last week and I must say, it kind of made me feel old.  First, it was my seventh BHS graduation (3 for band, my own, Heather’s, Adam’s, and Jacob’s) and the ceremony itself hasn’t changed, which is a good thing.  The traditional ceremony BHS has is has short and sweet as a graduation with 400+ students can be.  Second, I vividly remember babysitting students in this class.  That’s right, I got paid to put some of you to bed and stay up watching Sportscenter. Now you are all going off to college and being all independent, dang.  Lastly, I only saw a handful of teachers at graduation that I had or even knew.  The turnover in 5 years is extraordinary and if any of my past teachers happen to read this post I hope you know that every little thing you do for your students sticks with us whether we know it or not. 

Now, I am just a year removed from graduating college and still a good 4 years from graduating again, hopefully for the last time.  But I’ll offer a little piece of advice to all those who graduated.  Be thankful!  Thank your parents and your family for supporting you through school (whether it was financially, emotionally, or both).  Thank your friends for sharing the journey with you and making memories you will never forget.  But most of all, thank yourself!  Thank yourself for not giving up when things got tough or for not giving into peer pressure.  Thank yourself for studying and having the courage to try new things.  No one person is solely responsible for their own education, but you are the main benefactor!  That little piece of paper that you get when you walk across the stage (or in the mail later) is the most expensive piece of paper you’ll ever “buy.”  So you should thank the person who got it for you….you!

Alright, now that my emotionally expressive side has finished being all deep I plan to shed some light into a “Summer at School.”  Purdue in the summer is a completely different animal and I hope I can do it justice.  I have also begun a couple projects and even though I can’t go into to much detail I will begin a series of posts outlining some key subjects I will be working in (amorphous solids, solid state chemistry, infrared spectroscopy, etc.) I have also noticed that I have lacked visual aids in my blog lately and that will most definitely change.  Lastly, please check out the Stickyshoereview.com because I will hopefully be writing a guest blog about science movies on there sometime in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment