Monday, September 19, 2011

Birthday Perspective

Another year another birthday! Currently I am sitting in a lecture hall "proctoring" an exam. Thus I will take this opportunity to give a quick birthday perspective.  This is unscripted and whatever comes to my mind will be written! And at 24 years old I have to say, I have the odd feelings of both being old and young at the same time.  I shall explain...

At 24, I am young.  I have (hopefully) 75% of my life to live still.  I have gotten through the awkward teenage years and through the crazy awesome college times.  So on the one hand I feel like I have the whole world at my finger tips and that I can achieve anything.

This is the nerdiest (coolest) birthday cake I have ever seen!
On the other hand, I am a grad student at Purdue.  Which means that on a daily basis I see thousands 18-22 year olds walking around campus, not to mention all the Purdue tours with kids that have Class of 2014 on the side of their letter jacket! I discussed with my friend the other day that the gap from 18-21 is a hundred times larger than the gap from 21-24 (or even 21-30).  Once you turn 21, you are a full fledged adult.  But a lot of people grow up, mature, and change from 18-21. Those are the years that will define you as a person.  So from that aspect I feel old because I have been "21" for three years now.  This might be the feeling middle aged women get once they turn 48, I mean the 18th anniversary of their 30th birthday!

In another aspect, I have done quite a bit of maturing myself over the past year.  Things change fast in life and adapting and maturing is the best way to move forward!  I had no idea I'd be where I am today a year ago and I can only hope that the next year brings about more progress and success.  To everyone that has been a part of my life, thank you from the bottom of my heart.  And to my parents, I would not be the man I am today without all your love, support, and guidance!

To summarize, embrace your birthday no matter what age.  Live life to the fullest, cherish the memories, and revel in the light that is your future!

1 comment:

  1. "In the grand scheme of things, we're really not that far apart!". (although I agree, progress between the ages of 18 and 24 is fascinating!) Happy Birthday again!! :)

    ReplyDelete